It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:50 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Thompson Center Impact Muzzleloading Rifle 50 Caliber Synthetic Stock Black 26" Blue Barrel
The Thompson Center Impact Muzzleloading Rifle is a great new muzzleloader for hunters at an unbelievable price.
The Impact features an entirely new break open hood design to allow for easy access to the breech, a 1" removable
stock spacer so the length of pull can be adjusted for smaller shooters and a premium quality Thompson Center barrel
for superior accuracy. The Thompson Center Impact allows you to get a premium quality muzzleloader without paying a
premium price.

Technical Information
26" blued Thompson Center barrel
Quick Load Accurizor
Triple Lead Thread Breech Plug
Adjustable fiber optic sights
41.5" overall length
6.5 lbs
12.5-13.5" length of pull
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts

I ordered the TC Impact on 4/18/2010, and got it on 4/21/2010. I made a trip to the range on 4/22/2010, after cleaning the factory grease out of the gun. I just used the open sights as they came on the rifle. Shooting was done at 100 yards with 240gr Horn XTP in sabots, and 295gr hollow point Power Belt bullets. I also used 4 different replica powders: 777 pellets, American Pioneer 2F, Blackhorn 209, and Pyrodex RS. After a shot at 25 yards, and a shot at 50 yards, the rifle was on close enough to shoot at 100 yards. The rifle functioned flawlessly, the action was easy to open and simple to use. 3 shot groups ran 4" to 8" with 2 of the 3 shots running between 1 1/2" to 4". Not bad for my beyond middle aged eyes. I also bought a T/C scope base on the order to mount a scope. By the way, the Impact takes the same base as the Encore and Omega. All loads would have worked on deer with the opens sights even with the various bullets and powder combinations. I do have a few minor complaints about the Impact. The trigger is very sharp in the uncocked forward position, but doesn't seem to bother the finger during live fire. My second complaint is that during takedown, the screws to take the stock off to get at the action has 4 screws, 2 on the forearm and 2 on the butt stock, and it takes 3 different allen wrenches. Just a couple of other points if you buy an Impact, the hood spring is in the butt stock and can go flying during takedown and also the pin that holds the hood to the action on my rifle is loose and can fall out easily. Also for your information, the modular aluminum block action stays attached to the barrel during cleaning. The things I like are that the open sights are pretty good, and the fit of the rifle is perfect for me, stock fit is good, and the forearm is well designed. I also thought that with the light 6.5 lb weight the rifle was going to recoil pretty bad, but that was a non issue, due to the design. The Impact is a good value for the money, T/C quality for not much more then the cheap imports.

Here is more info on the T/C page if you are interested.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/impact.php

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:15 am 
Charter Member
Charter Member

Interesting. Good review, too.

I've never had any interest in the in-lines myself. More "traditional minded" I guess. But I can (sorta) understand their appeal.

My problem right now is I can't find a source for black powder. Cabela's stopped carrying it. That ersatz stuff don't work well in flinters. On my trip I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some 3F Goex or substitute. Getting to be a real problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:37 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

sounds like it will be a hot item this fall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:04 pm 
Co-Moderator
Co-Moderator

Where's the flint go?

-CCLXI-
-100010000-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:32 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Jbar4Ranch wrote:
Where's the flint go?

DON'T EVEN START WITH ME!!! :lol:

BTW, I mounted a Traditions 1X scope on it yesterday. :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:34 pm 
Co-Moderator
Co-Moderator

:lol:

-CCLXI-
-100010000-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:46 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

The Caddo Kid wrote:
My problem right now is I can't find a source for black powder. Cabela's stopped carrying it. That ersatz stuff don't work well in flinters. On my trip I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some 3F Goex or substitute. Getting to be a real problem.

Try Track of the Wolf, http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... styleID=94

But you have buy 25# in 1# containers, but at least you can mix it up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:08 pm 
Principal Member
Principal Member

Are you still happy with the Impact?

I am going to get one this weekend unless you tell me to buy a CVA import instead.

My daughter needs a ML and I like the fact that the Impact has the stock spacer that I can remove for her.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:12 pm 
Charter Member
Charter Member

Inlines are not muzzle-loaders. They are excuses used by ne'er-do-wells to extend their seasons.

Har!

:9mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:35 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

whiskey wrote:
Are you still happy with the Impact?

I am going to get one this weekend unless you tell me to buy a CVA import instead.

My daughter needs a ML and I like the fact that the Impact has the stock spacer that I can remove for her.

JW, Overall, I like the Impact well enough, Other then the few bitches I had earlier, and the stubborn breech plug removal after an extended shooting session, It is a pretty accurate rifle even with the state mandated 1X scope I am obligated to use. I've been running 1.5" to 3" 3 shot groups at 100 yards, with 100 grains of loose 2F 777 powder and the Harvester crush rib sabots loaded with a Hornady .44 240gr XTP bullet. On thursday I plan on trying it at 200 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:45 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The Caddo Kid wrote:
Inlines are not muzzle-loaders. They are excuses used by ne'er-do-wells to extend their seasons.

Har!

:9mm

I'll be danged I didn't know that Inlines aren't muzzleloaders, everytime I've loaded it, I've had to put the powder and bullet in the muzzle.. :oops:
In ND, ML season is a hard draw to get, a person only gets a Whitetail buck tag about every 5 or 6 years on average. Doe tags are a given if you apply for them as a first choice, and I've had about a 50% chance to get a state wide ML doe tag as a second choice. A lot of my ML kills are on concurrent doe tags that are left over after the rifle hunting drawing, that can be used in any open season, archery, rifle or ML, which are restricted by hunting unit, there is something like 35 in ND. I always try to have one or two tags saved up for ML season in December, just so I can extend my hunting, and do my part for herd management, besides they taste pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:29 am 
Co-Moderator
Co-Moderator

Jim Bob wrote:
It is a pretty accurate rifle even with the state mandated 1X scope I am obligated to use.

You're required to use a scope instead of open sights...? Or you can use open sights, but if you use a scope it has to be -0- magnification?

-CCLXI-
-100010000-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:11 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

The word police really busted me on that one... I shouldn't have said mandated.. I plead guilty by reason on being tired and trying to use big legal words that I got confused on the meaning of.. :lol:

We can use any non magnifing sight or open sight during ML season. Now if'n you want to use a ML during the firearm season you can put any power scope you want on it.

In fact in 1993 I went to Montana and shot a doe antelope with a Traditions Frontier Scout caplock with 4x Weaver scope mounted on it. :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:54 pm 
Principal Member
Principal Member

Thanks JB.

TCK, I would use thermal imaging scopes with heat seeking bullets if they were legal. Getting up at 4am is plenty of a "sporting chance" for me.

By ALL legal means, until I get bored with "legal"... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:32 pm 
Charter Member
Charter Member

They're still not REAL muzzleloaders.