It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NEF Handi Rifle
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:39 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

Any tips on accurizing a Handi Rifle? The little 30-06 I bought has only been tested with two loads so far, so I'm not sure yet what it's potential is. Last load tested was only capable of 3 inch groups at 100. That's twice what I find acceptable. Could be that I just haven't found the magic combination or it could be that Remington 700 rifles have spoiled me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:56 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

1. Trigger pull must be all the way to the rear, don't release it at the break, or the transfer bar will drop out of place and inconsistent pin strikes will occur. See Misfires here

2. Close the action with some force, when new this is extremely important, the latch and latch shelf need to mate and that doesn't happen real fast, takes some open and close cycles for the parts to get used to each other.

3. Place the front rest just ahead of the trigger guard under the hinge, if you push the guard right into the front rest, it will be in the same position each time. On my rest, the rear sling stud is also against the rear rest.

4. Even after polishing the bore, it may take well over 60-80 rounds to start shooting well, my 223 started shooting real well after 80 rounds after polishing.

5. If you want to find out if the forend is affecting accuracy, remove the forend and shoot it, just slip it back on to reload and remove it again to shoot. If the forend needs work, it will shoot good without it.

6. Take your time shooting, most Handis don't shoot the best groups when the barrel is hot, specially without some forend work.

7. Always make sure the latch and latch shelf are dry, this is especially important if you clean at the range, it's real easy to get solvent on the latch shelf since it's directly below the chamber.

8. Make sure the brass and chamber are clean and dry, any lube left on the brass will make em stick, oil or solvent in the chamber will do the same.

9. With a barrel locked up good, the barrel release should be loose, the release should be snug with none or little looseness with the action open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:30 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

Thank you, MtJerry!

I love this bunch. The amount of knowledge and experience in our little group is just amazing. I can't wait til deer season is over to try these tips. If the Handi turns out to be an acceptable shooter, it's going to get a bunch of spare barrels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:46 pm 
Principal Member
Principal Member

I only have a 45 Colt Handi at the moment, and every thing that MtJerry said is valid, I have also found that my rifle prefers brass brands, and does measurably better with non nickle plated brass (why I cannot imagine). This is also the class of rifle in which handloading will play a big role.

All the items which refer to action lock up are essential to good accuracy and consistant grouping. With a "long action" cartridge like the 06, you may also want to check for chamber length, to much free bore can be an accuracy killer, although I have not heard of this being a problem with any Handi Rifles.

Also check this website for mucho information:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

I am contemplating one in .30-30, .223 or .500 S&W next. They are fun rifles (at a price you can afford).

"Sic Semper Tyranus "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:13 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

Friend of mine had one in .223 we scoped it and seems we could not miss clay pigeons at 200 yards! Little joker was fun to shoot.

LUKE 22:36

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his
garment, and buy one." *JESUS CHRIST*

http://www.raptureready.com

APRIL 19th is BUY A GUN DAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:34 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

Thanks, guys. I'm also thinking that part of my problem might be the gun show scope I bought. I'm sending it back to Bushnell fo rebuild and replacing it for the time being. One more week of stalking Bambi, then I'll start on this project.

Post subject: Re: NEF Handi Rifle
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:38 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

Parson Colt wrote:
Any tips on accurizing a Handi Rifle? The little 30-06 I bought...

Oh, my achin' shoulder!
Parson, please tell me you've got some kind of a butt pad fitted on that stock!

-------------------------------

Autlander wrote:
...With a "long action" cartridge like the 06...

Don't mean to play "Nomenclature Police", but isn't an '06 based on a Standard Action?
I always thought "Long Action" was mainly for the H&H-type stuff.

Bulldog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbJlnD0L ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:53 pm 
Principal Member
Principal Member

I suppose somewhere in a dusty old room there is a book that prescribes and defines long and short actions.

In an era of .223, 7.62 x 39, and 7.62 x 51, an 06' action which was once the standard action to be sure, could be considered "long" by some.

"Sic Semper Tyranus "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:56 pm 
Principal Member
Principal Member

:lol: Not to worry. It came with a recoil pad. It's not light, either. Weighs in the 7 1/2 pound range. But I like it.

Wouldn't that be short action (308 etc) long action (30-06 etc) and magnum action (375 H&H etc) ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:46 pm 
Charter Member
Charter Member

I bought my ex a heavy barrel handi in .223 just before I came out here. Sighted it in for her, too. Once sighted it produced 1/2" groups at 100Y at a total round count of about 20! (With Black Hills 55gr SP re-mans.) I couldn't believe it. They are indeed shooters. Once you get all the "issues" sorted out I bet your '06 is gonna be a tack-driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:29 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

Autlander wrote:
I suppose somewhere in a dusty old room there is a book that prescribes and defines long and short actions.

In an era of .223, 7.62 x 39, and 7.62 x 51, an 06' action which was once the standard action to be sure, could be considered "long" by some.

Maybe "Long" should be renamed "Medium"?
Then you'd have Short, Medium and Long.

Regardless, I don't like the fact that the American public sees fit, lately, to change the meaning of every word in the english language, just because it doesn't seem right to one person or a small group of indiviuals.

STAN-DARD-EYE-ZAYE-SHUN - there's a reason for it. So EVERYONE gets the right message!

...ok, I'm done. Anyone want a used soap box? 40 cents, Cheap.

Bulldog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbJlnD0L ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:58 pm 
Principal Member
Principal Member

REFERENCE: Savage 2007 Catalog Pages: 13 and 34

Page 13 reference Model 11F described by Savage as Long Action

reference Model 11 G described by Savage as Short Action

Page 34 reference Model 11F offered in .270 and 30-06

reference Model 11G offered in .308, 243, .223

Seems as though Savage needs to get on board with Standardization. No mention at all of medium nor magnum
actions.

"Sic Semper Tyranus "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:36 pm 
Principal Member
Principal Member

I have done much reading on the subject of getting a Handi Rifle to shoot well. If you are getting 3" at 100 yards then you are in the "NEF acceptable range" believe it or not.

Take 5 minutes between shots.

There is an "o-ring" trick to float the forearm. It is recommended that after you find a round that the gun likes, shoot it with and without the forearm in place. If it is better without you have work to do.

Usually the Handi's are picky about what ammo they like. Try a lot of different loads.

You can always check out the GBO forum. These are the experts on Handi's.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0

DOH! I read all the way through and missed the earlier link. Any way it is worth repeating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:58 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

i was going to mention the o ring trick but whiskey got to that one, i had a .223 nef that was shooting just over 1/4 inch at 100 yards with hand loads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:42 am 
Principal Member
Principal Member

One of you guys educate me on the o-ring trick, please.